Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fairy Tale Tea

Fellow tea lovers alert!! I found these fairy tale teas on etsy. There are so many fairy tale products available these days but this is pretty unique!

From seller SimplyDeliciousMe, 6 tea blends:

"Beauty & The Beast- Black summer roses blend with a dark forest flavor for a new twist on a tale as old as time.

Cinderella-A black tea mixed with vanilla and ginger, with hints of peaches. Keep a lookout for glass slippers and step mothers

Red Riding Hood-A rich red tea blended for a forest berry sensation so good, you may want to share with grandma.

Sleeping Beauty-A soothing blend of Chamomile and Green Needle teas, for a slumber you won't have to prick your finger for

Snow White-A white tea expertly blended with Snow buds and Vanilla for a princess worthy tea.
& The 7 Dwarves- A rich earthy tea with hints of a gold tea that mimics what mining dwarves love most."

I think these are all pretty clever. The only one that seems random is Cinderella. At first I thought the peaches were a nod to the tree Cinderella/Aschenputtel climbs in to hide in the Grimms version, but that was a pear tree. In the ballet version they make use of oranges in the ball scene...anyone aware of a connection to Cinderella and peaches?

6 comments:

  1. I don't know any connection between Cinderella and peaches. I don't even remember the pear tree you mentioned (a linden tree, sure). Peaches would make more sense for a story like "Momotaro" (sadly, much of the Western world has yet to discover the awesomeness of Japanese fairy tales). For "Cinderella", I'd expect more of a pumpkin spice flavor if that's possible in a tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes, a pumpkin tea would have been perfect for Cinderella! And it's definitely possible, I own a few pumpkin tea varieties myself!

    Is the tree planted over Cinderella's grave sometimes called a linden tree? (In my translation of Grimms it's a hazel bush but that does sound familiar). The pear tree is one she hides in after the ball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tree planted over the grave of Cinderella's mother in the Grimm version (Ashenputtel) is described as a linden tree in my copy. Sometimes these translations seem to get a bit rough. I don't remember the pear tree, though. I haven't read Grimm's "Cinderella" in a long time, though. As much as I love Grimm in general, I tend to revisit the hidden gems more than the big names.

      Delete
  3. Slight correction. You were right about the hazel bush. I was confusing Grimm's "Cinderella" with a Polish variant entitled "Marya and the Rusaje".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets so confusing with all the variants! Sometimes I feel like the more fairy tales I read the more they all blur together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And that's without even reading some of these modern books based on fairy tales!

      Delete