Thursday, July 1, 2010

For anyone who can't get enough Disney music

...or is that just me, who can't get enough Disney music? Either way, here are some slightly different takes on Disney music:
Heigh Ho Mozart: Donald Fraser arranges Disney tunes in the styles of classical composers. Guys...what's not to love about this? From "The Second Star to the Right" in the style of Thomas Tallis to "Beauty and the Beast" in the style of Rachmaninoff, one of my all-time favorite composers (although, alas, it's more in the schmultzy style of the famous movement from his Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini and less the intense Rachmaninoff of the Symphonic Dances or Piano Concertos, but but it fits really well with the Rhapsody theme) to "Winnie the Pooh" in the style of Prokofiev. If this isn't enough for you, there's an additional album, Bibbidi Bobbidi Bach: More Favorite Disney Tunes.
Now...if anyone ever respected my musical opinion, I will probably forever lose it by recommending this next album, but bear with me:

I grew up listening to Mannheim Steamroller every Christmas and loved it then and I love it now, even if it's not all musically quite as excellent as other music one might choose to listen to, but I swear their earlier albums are better, as long as you don't get hung up about synthesizers. So get ready for delightfully awful/awesome 80s renditions of Disney tunes, which are in general even more bizarre than their Christmas albums. I have already used several songs for various teaching purposes. I love being a teacher, you can justify any quirky interests for the sake of some teaching objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment