Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Alice-inspired jewelry

I was wandering around Etsy and was intrigued by this pendant, entitled "the real Alice in Wonderland":

which can be found here.
The seller justbedesigns includes this fascinating information:

"I was curious as to what influenced Lewis Carroll to write Alice in Wonderland. All of the research that I did led to Alice Liddell - a five year old girl whose family Lewis Carroll befriended. He was quite taken by little Alice and even referred to her as his "muse." His affections for Alice became more of an obsession and he was banned from seeing or speaking to her and her sisters. Carroll actually wanted to marry Alice but the family forbade it, citing his age as a huge factor -- he was more than thirty years her senior. Nobody knows if the above is for sure true -- it is all speculation. But, the more that I read about the events; the more I became intrigued. I also came to learn that parts of his diaries were torn out and pages were just missing that chronicled the trips that he took with Alice and her sisters."

Is it just me, or is there a huge increase in Alice in Wonderland-inspired products since the Burton movie started being advertised? I have been drooling over daileedose's Alice in Wonderland jewelry collection. If no one's bought me anything for my birthday (though I guess my unbirthday would be more appropriate...) I might have to snag something for myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment