Monday, August 12, 2013

Fairy Tale Entertainment: Chicago

I've thought about doing a post like this before, but decided against it, since I think most of you don't live in the Chicago area and this wouldn't be of special interest to you.

However, after hearing ads for two fairy tale-inspired events in one set of commercials while listening to the radio this morning, I thought it might be interesting just to see how much of our art is influenced by fairy tales, in just one season of one city's entertainment. This is not even an extensively researched list, a few of these I had heard of and I went through the CSO schedule and listed those titles which included fairy tale subjects (this doesn't include programs where only one piece may be fairy tale inspired).





Description: "This ancient and beloved Chinese fable chronicles the tale of a gentle serpent spirit who transforms herself into a beautiful young woman to find love in the human world. Funny, moving, and stunningly staged, The White Snake is a ravishing theatrical spectacle that will enchant and delight."
(So this appears to be unrelated to the Grimm's tale of the same name)

  • Chicago Symphony Orchestra:
Once Upon a Symphony: Stone Soup October-November
Mother Goose and More November
Program includes:
Tchaikovsky Waltz from Sleeping Beauty
  • Mussorgsky Tuileries from Pictures from an Exhibition
  • McBurney Nursery Rhymes
  • Ravel Selections from Mother Goose Suite
  • Prokofiev Midnight from Cinderella
  • Humperdinck Selections from Hansel and Gretel
  • Pictures From an Exhibition in December (Includes Baba Yaga's Hut)
    Once Upon a Symphony: Three Little Pigs in March-April
    Adventures with Aladdin in May-This is really just Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade, I find it interesting they used the more familiar fairy tale character to advertise the concert

    • Ballet Preljocaj Blanche Neige (Snow White), at the Harris Theater May 2-4

    *InkGypsy at Once Upon a Blog covered this ballet back in 2012
    I'm sure there's much more happening this year-especially in theater, which I don't follow as much as I do classical music/ballet. If I find more I'll try to remember to update this list, or feel free to send links my way in the comments!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment